Rehab for teenagers
Being young is a time for personal development, having fun and, for some teenagers, experimentation. Many teenagers try alcohol, cannabis and other drugs before they become adults and while most do not go on to develop a substance use disorder, it is still a serious risk for teens. Between April 2020 and March 2021, 11,013 young people sought treatment for substance abuse with alcohol, cannabis, cocaine and ketamine the most common. Banbury Lodge is one of the UK’s only teenage addiction treatment centres. We provide discreet and effective rehab for teens from across the country with every member of our team dedicated to helping young people overcome addiction and go on to live happy, healthy lives.
What is rehab for teenagers?
Teen rehab is a specialised rehab treatment programme designed to help young people recover from dependency on drugs, alcohol or addictive behaviours. It takes into account the unique challenges that teenagers face, such as peer pressure, academic stress and family conflicts and provides a safe and supportive environment for recovery.
Rehab for teens offers evidence-based treatments and therapies that address the root causes of dependency such as trauma, mental health issues and social pressures. This enables sufferers to understand what is fuelling their behaviour so they can make real and effective changes in their lives.
What types of teen rehab are available?
Teen rehab can be provided on both an inpatient and outpatient basis. Inpatient teen rehab involves staying at a rehab centre for a designated period while completing your recovery programme. Outpatient teen rehab involves attending therapy sessions and other treatments while living at home.
Banbury Lodge provides inpatient teen rehab because it offers a number of benefits, including:
- A more immersive and intensive recovery experience
- The time and space for teens to focus solely on their recovery
- No access to substances or problematic activities
- Sanctuary from stresses, triggers and negative influences
- A safe and healing environment
- A more comprehensive programme of teen rehab therapies
- 24/7 medical and emotional support
- The opportunity to meet other people in the same situations
- Ongoing support and aftercare to maintain sobriety and prevent relapse
Do I need teen rehab?
It can be hard to recognise that there is an issue, particularly when you are young and many other people in your peer group may also be drinking, using drugs or engaging in certain behaviours. Here are some questions to ask yourself which may point to the need for teen rehab:
- Have I started using substances or engaging in certain behaviours more regularly than before?
- Does this pattern of behaviour feel like it is out of my control?
- Have I experienced negative consequences as a result such as problems at school or issues with my parents or friends?
- Have I tried to quit using substances or engaging in addictive behaviours but found it difficult or impossible?
- Do I experience withdrawal symptoms when I try to stop?
- Is my behaviour causing me any financial or legal issues?
If you answered “yes” to one or more of these questions, you may need to consider professional teen rehab.
What are the signs of substance abuse in teens?
As a parent, it can be difficult to determine whether your teen is struggling with substance abuse. However, there are a number of signs to look out and recognising them early can help you to intervene and provide the necessary support and guidance.
Common signs of substance abuse in teens include:
- Changes in behaviour, including increased secrecy, irritability and mood swings
- Poor academic performance or attendance
- Changes in peer groups and social activities
- Frequent absences from school or work
- Physical changes such as bloodshot eyes, changes in appetite and weight loss or gain
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Decreased interest in hobbies or activities that were once enjoyed
- Lack of motivation and energy
- Neglect of personal hygiene and grooming
- Presence of drug paraphernalia, such as pipes, rolling papers or syringes
If you notice any of these signs in your child, it is important to speak to your son or daughter so you can find out what is going on and get help as soon as possible.
What does teen rehab involve?
At Banbury Lodge, we offer a comprehensive teen rehab programme which addresses every aspect of the condition for the maximum chances of success.
Detox is usually the first step in teen rehab, where your body will be cleansed of drugs or alcohol so that you can move on to therapy with a clear head and a clean bill of health. This process can be difficult due to withdrawal symptoms so it is very important that you undergo detox in a teen rehab centre like Banbury Lodge. Our medical professionals will keep you comfortable during the process and ensure that you are at no risk of serious complication.
After that, you will take part in a range of therapies and treatment approaches led by our expert therapists.
Our teen addiction counselling therapies include:
- Individual therapy: One-on-one counselling to help teenagers address their personal challenges and develop coping skills specific to their recovery needs.
- Group therapy: Provides a supportive recovery environment where teenagers can connect with their peers who are also in rehab, share their experiences and offer support to each other.
- CBT: Helps teenagers to recognise negative thinking patterns and behaviours. This enables them to develop healthier behaviour and coping mechanisms, especially during difficult moments when cravings arise.
- Motivational interviewing: Encourages teenagers to explore their reasons for wanting to change and build their motivation to succeed in rehab.
- Family therapy: Helps teenagers to address family dynamics and relationships that may have contributed to their condition and provides support for family members to understand and contribute to the recovery process.
- Holistic therapies such as yoga and meditation: Provide major benefits for stress and anxiety management, improved mood and overall mental health and well-being.
- Aftercare: Banbury Lodge provides ongoing support to help teenagers maintain their sobriety and prevent relapse. This includes one year of free weekly group therapy sessions, which can help teenagers to stay connected to their peers and continue their progress towards recovery.
Unique challenges faced by teenagers in rehab
Teen rehab can present unique challenges for teenagers, who may struggle with a range of issues during their recovery journey. Some common challenges and the solutions provided by Banbury Lodge include:
Being in a new environment can make teens feel isolated and disconnected from their usual social support networks. This can lead to feelings of loneliness and homesickness.
To help teenagers feel more connected, Banbury Lodge offers group therapy sessions where they can connect with their peers who are also in rehab. The centre also offers a range of activities such as board games, movie nights and other social events to foster the social side of rehab and help everyone bond with each other.
Family conflicts and issues can be a significant stressor for teenagers and being away from home can make these conflicts feel more intense.
Banbury Lodge offers family therapy and special sessions called conjoints where teenagers can work with their loved ones to resolve any conflicts and build stronger relationships. This can help to alleviate stress and anxiety around family issues and stop teens from worrying about what is going on at home while they are completing teen rehab.
Being away from school can cause anxiety and stress for teenagers, especially if their condition has already affected their academic performance.
Undergoing rehab at Banbury Lodge can help teens press the reset button on their lives. This means that when they leave rehab, they can get back on track with their education and build a brighter future for themselves.
Begin teen rehab today
If you or a teen in your family is struggling, don’t hesitate to reach out for help. Banbury Lodge offers tailored and evidence-based rehab for teenagers that has helped many young people overcome their conditions. By starting teen rehab today, you can take the first step towards a healthier and happier future.